Dr. Teoh Soo Huat
|Medical Lecturer & Family Physician
M.D (USM), M.Med (USM), FASLM, AM (Mal)
|soohuat @ usm.my|
|Tel: (+6) 04-562 2085|
Obesity (Lifestyle & Medical interventions), Smoking Cessation, Men's Sexual Health, Hypertension and Diabetes management
1) Doctor of Medicine; M.D (USM) – 2009
2) Master of Medicine in Family Medicine (USM) – 2017
Professional registration numbers:
1) Malaysian Medical Council (MMC), permanent registration number: 50443
2) National Specialist Register (NSR) number: 135743
1) Housemanship : Hospital Sultanah Bahiyah, Alor Setar, Kedah (2009-2011)
2) Medical Officer : Klinik Kesihatan Bandar Baharu, Serdang, Kedah (2011-2013)
3) Residency : Hospital Sultan Abdul Halim, Sungai Petani, Kedah (2013-2015)
Klinik Rawatan Keluarga, Hospital USM, Kelantan (2015-2016)
Klinik Kesihatan Bakar Arang, Sungai Petani, Kedah (2016-2017)
4) Family Physician : Klinik Kesihatan Kulim, Kedah (2017- January 2018)
Klinik Kesihatan Bingkor, Keningau, Sabah (January to August 2018)
Academic Positions (Internal):
1) Module Coordinator; TCE 505 Principles of Exercise Testing & Prescription; MSc Clinical Exercise Science; 2020 –
2) Skills Lab Coordinator; Medical Doctor Program MD@IPPT; 2019 –
3) Committee Member; IPPT Academic Programs Promotion Committee; 2020 – 2020
4) Committee Member; IPPT Academic Programs Accreditation Committee; 2020 –
Academic Positions (External):
1) Cross-Appointment Medical Lecturer; Master of Medicine (Family Medicine); School of Medical Sciences, USM Health Campus, Kelantan; 2019 – 2020
2) Clinical Mentor; Advanced Training in Family Medicine (ATFM); Academy of Family Physicians Malaysia (AFPM); 2019 – 2021
3) Research Co-Mentor; ATFM; AFPM; 2019 – 2021
Professional bodies (National):
1) Academy of Family Physicians of Malaysia – Life Member
2) Academy of Medicine of Malaysia – Life member
3) Malaysian Association for the Study of Obesity – Life Member
4) Malaysian Society of Hypertension – Life member
5) Qualitative Research Association of Malaysia – Life Member
6) Malaysian Medical Association – Member (2009 – 2020)
7) Family Medicine Specialists Association of Malaysia – Member (2017 – 2020)
Professional bodies (International):
1) World Organization of Family Doctors (WONCA) – Life Member
2) Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine (ASLM) – Member
3) Obesity Medicine Association – Member
4) Dallas Obesity Society – Member
1) Good Clinical Practice by Ministry of Health Malaysia - 2014
4) Certified Bariatric Educator (Obesity Canada) - 2020
5) Board Certified Bariatric Counselor (American Association of Bariatric Counselors) - 2020
Family Medicine/Primary Care/General Practice/Family Practice covers a wide range of diseases of any age and requires other non-clinical skills. It is best described as managing cases from womb to tomb; acute and chronic management; preventative, curative and rehabilitative care; individual and community-based management; clinical and administrative skills; research and teaching.
My interest is in chronic diseases particularly non-communicable diseases such as obesity, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, smoking cessation, men's sexual health and cancer screening.
My clinic days for appointment-based patients are Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon. It is situated in the Clinical Trial Complex. Walk-in and private wing patients will be seen under Executive Health Services.
MSc (Clinical Exercise Science)
1) TCE 502 Nutrition in Health & Diseases
a. Obesity and Weight Management; 2018 –
b. Metabolic Syndrome; 2018 –
2) TCE 503 Applied Psychology
a. Anxiety & Depression, Eating Disorders & Substance Abuse; 2019 – 2020
3) TCE 504 Applied Exercise Physiology
a. Physiology of Exercising Female; 2018 – 2019
4) TCE 505 Principles of Exercise Testing and Prescription
a. Body Composition Assessment; 2020 –
5) TCE 506 Perspectives and Practice in Health Promotion
a. Risk Factors of Lifestyle-Related Diseases; 2018 –
1) Hadiah Latihan Persekutuan; Ministry of Health Malaysia; Master of Medicine (Family Medicine); 2013-2017
1) Fellowship in Australasian Society of Lifestyle Medicine (FASLM); 2020
2) SCOPE (World Obesity Federation) leadership program; 2020
3) SCOPE National Fellow (World Obesity Federation); 2020
1) Suhaila Abbas, Research Mode, Development and validation of doctor obesity management questionnaire, 2019/2021 (Main Supervisor)
2) Ezzah Khan, Research Mode, Qualitative study on primary care doctors' practice in obesity management, 2020/2021 (Main Supervisor)
3) Rosna Abdoll Jalil, Research Mode, Food culture among patients with diabetes: a qualitative study, 2020/2021 (Co-Supervisor)
1. Correia JC, Meraj H, Teoh SH, Waqas A, Pataky Z, Golay A. Telemedicine interventions for treatment of diabetes mellitus in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endocr Soc. 2020; 4(Supp1):MON126.
Citation indexed journals:
1. Teoh SH. Angry patient with fibromyalgia: Diagnosis and management in primary care. Med J Malaysia. 2016; 71(6):351-3.
2. Teoh SH, Razlina AR, Norwati D, Siti Suhaila MY. Patients’ blood pressure control and doctors’ adherence to hypertension clinical practice guideline in managing patients at health clinics in Kuala Muda district, Kedah. Med J Malaysia. 2017; 72(1):18-25.
3. Teoh SH, Liyana S. Facial and ocular presentations of Carbimazole induced agranulocytosis: A case report. Bangladesh J Med Sci. 2018; 17(4): 678-9.
1. Ng YL, Teoh SH, Mohd Radzniwan AR, Syahnaz MH. Prevalence and associated factors of undiagnosed glycemic disorders in men with erectile dysfunction attending primary care clinic. J Taibah Univ Med Sc. 2019; 14(1):88-94.
2. Teoh SH, Siti Norazlina J, Razlina AR. Chronic diseases management using digital health technologies. Oman Med J. 2019; 34(5):474-5.
3. Teoh SH, Hafsa M. Integrating 5As for the management of overweight and obese adults in Malaysian primary care. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2019; 13(4):1138-40.
1. Teoh SH, Ng YL, Norlina A, Rahmah K. A case of Gilbert’s syndrome diagnosis during pregnancy. Bangladesh J Med Sci. 2020; 19(2):333-5.
2. Teoh SH, Mastura MS, Nani D, Devaraj NK. Pelvic actinomycosis: A report of two cases with different presentations. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2020; 14(1):253-5.
3. Devaraj NK, Zeenat A, Tajmul RT, Teoh SH, Abdul HKYF, Aneesa AR, Fadzilah M, Abdul HAM. The prevalence of apparent resistant hypertension and associated factors among elderly hypertensive patients at two primary care clinics in Klang Valley, Malaysia. Sapporo Med J. 2020; 54(6):1-9.
4. Roslinda AR, Rosnani Z, Teoh SH, Shaiful BI, Nani D. Traditional and complementary medicine (T/CM) use and its associated factors among type 2 diabetic mellitus patients in Kelantan, Malaysia. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2020; 14(2):1015-20.
5. Waqas A, Teoh SH, Lapão LV, Messina LA, Correia JC. Harnessing telemedicine for provision of healthcare: Identifying research themes, hotspots and landmark theories. J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22(10):e18835.
6. Mastura MS, Sharifah ATD, Teoh SH. Malaysia Experience in Tackling Covid19: A Narrative Review. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2020; 14(3):1354-6.
7. Mastura MS, Sharifah ATD, Teoh SH. Apolipoprotein E gene and Disease Associated. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2020; 14(3):1211-4.
8. Tajmul RT, Nabil SH, Zeenat A, Abdul HKYK, Tay CL, Teoh SH, Aneesa AR, Fadzilah M, Abdul HAM, Devaraj NK. Establishment Of A Diabetic Clinic And Its Effects On Glycaemic Control Among Diabetic Patients In Muar District, Malaysia. Sapporo Med J. 2020; 54(10):1-11.
9. Ezzah K, Teoh SH. Current practices of primary care doctors in managing adults with obesity: a narrative review. Pak J Med Health Sci. 2020; 14(4):1869-72.
1. Ain FAR, Nurul IM, Teoh SH. An uncommon case of gouty arthritis in a teenage boy. Bangladesh J Med Sci. 2021; 20(1):200-3.
2. Correia JC, Meraj H, Waqas A, Teoh SH, et al. Implementation and effectiveness of telemedicine interventions for the treatment of diabetes in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Bull World Health Organ. Forthcoming March 2021.
3. Abduraman MA, Azizan NA, Teoh SH, Tan ML. Ketogenesis and SIRT1 as a tool in managing obesity. Obes Res Clin Pract. 2021; 15(1):10-18.
1. Sabah Obstetric Shared Care Guidelines (SOSCG) 3rd edition, 2018. Member of guidelines development group.
2. Nabilah R, Chuah PL, Teoh SH. Obesiti, sindrom metabolik dan rakyat Malaysia. Buletin Sejahtera. 2018 Apr; (5):129-31.
3. Wan Nursyaza Sahira WG, Nabilah R, Teoh SH. Modifikasi makanan-makanan popular di Malaysia. Buletin Sejahtera. 2018 Ogos; (6):125-7.
4. Ariff F, Teoh SH. Reducing infection risks vital in mitigating Covid-19. New Straits Times. 2020. Available from: https://www.nst.com.my/opinion/letters/2020/11/637504/reducing-infection-risks-vital-mitigating-covid-19
5. Teoh SH, Karen C. Blog. Obesity care: a glimpse into the future. World Obesity Federation. 2020. Available from: https://www.worldobesity.org/news/obesity-care-a-glimpse-into-the-future
1. USM Short term grant: Development and validation of obesity-related questionnaire; RM35,000; 2019-2021; Principal Investigator.
2. Academy of Family Physicians Malaysia (AFPM) Research Grant: Qualitative research on obesity management in primary care; RM12,000; 2020-2021; Principal Investigator.